Friday, April 5, 2013

F$#% SQL Compact

Not a very professional post title, I know.
I would write a poem about it,
but I hate it too much for that.

Really though, SQL Compact provided the majority of the issues on a project I worked on recently. The good news is that I would say I am more qualified to use it now than I was before and know exactly how long much longer to estimate a project out to be when it is going to be involved in some way. The answer is: 42.*

For anyone who is going to use it: It's more limited than you think. Just expect to do all your normal SQL scripting in the business logic for your project. Hell, the best way I found to do something quickly was to use Entity Framework and use the Entity Data Model Wizard to create an .edmx file. Then, include this in your project and write all your batch scripting directly as LINQ statements.

I need to see if someone has create an interpreter that will run a Transact-SQL script on a SQL CE database. If not, it should be created by me or someone else. If you're that someone else, I love you.

* ...hours of annoyance. This is quite possibly the amount of time you will spend outside of the work environment cursing the day it was conceived. 

No comments:

Post a Comment